Question: How Often Should You Shock An Above Ground Pool?

Does shock increase pH?

Chlorine based pool shock (Calcium Hypochlorite) has a high pH, and will naturally raise the pH level of your swimming pool water, in addition to changing your chlorine level.

Chlorine free shock has a neutral pH, and will not affect any of your pool chemical levels..

Is it better to run a pool pump at night or day?

Running your pool pump during the day is good because that’s when the sun is out. UV rays are eating up the chlorine, so it is good to have the pump running to counteract the sun’s effects. A pro for night time would be that it’s off-peak utility hours. It’s cheaper to run the pool pump at night.

How many hours a day should a pool pump run?

approximately 8 hoursEvery pool must turn over at least once a day, so most pool pumps should run approximately 8 hours a day.

Can I shock my pool every day?

Shocking Your Swimming Pool During The Day Shocking gets rid of chloramines and helps bring your pool’s chlorine levels to a well-balanced 3 parts per million (ppm). But while daytime is great for enjoying your pool, it’s the wrong time to shock.

Can you put too much shock in a pool?

You can, however, use more shock than you need – or less than is sufficient. In other words, while you shouldn’t worry too much about adding a little extra pool shock, there is still a right way and a wrong way to shock your pool if you want to get the best results.

Can I shock my pool 2 days in a row?

Will the children swim again? Here’s the deal. It’s pretty tough to over-shock your pool; shocking your pool two days in a row with the proper dosage for your pool volume shouldn’t be a problem – and in fact, is sometimes even needed to rid your pool of algae and other contaminants.

What does dead algae look like in a pool?

Once the algae is killed, some of it will be captured in the filter, but because the dead algae particles are so fine, they will settle to the bottom of the pool, usually appearing as a gray or brown dust. … Black algae almost always appears as spots, from pin-head size to quarter size. It looks and feels like tar.

How do you fix an over shocked pool?

If you put too much shock in the pool, simply wait it out. If you have a cover on your pool, take it off. The more sun that hits your water, the faster it will dissipate. Technically, if your free chlorine levels are holding up swimming UP TO your shock level, depending on your CYA, is safe.

Should filter be on when shocking pool?

Run the filtration system While shocking your pool will help kill any germs any algae, it won’t actually get rid of them; for that, you need your filter. So be sure to run your pool filter for at least 24 hours.

When should you shock a pool?

You can test for chloramines and you can see algae, but bacteria and other pathogens are invisible, as are nitrates, phosphates and ammonia. For this reason, many pool owners shock the pool every 3-4 weeks, even though the water may be clear and clean, just to be sure it’s disinfected and sanitary.

Does pool shock kill algae?

Getting Rid of Algae with Chlorine Shock Chlorine is a very effective sanitizer for water. When you maintain a swimming pool with 3ppm (parts per million) of chlorine, it will inhibit algae from growing.

What if you put too much chlorine in your pool?

Having too much chlorine in your pool water can be dangerous. Exposure to high levels of chlorine can cause lung irritation, skin and eye damage, and provoke asthma. … High chlorine levels decrease the pH of your pool’s water, making it more acidic. The more acidic the water, the higher the likelihood of corrosion.

How much shock should I put in my pool?

To shock your pool, use 2 pounds of shock for every 10,000 gallons of water, which should raise your chlorine to 10.0 ppm. Depending on your pool, you can use Leslie’s Power Powder Plus or Leslie’s Chlor Brite. After shocking the pool, run the circulation system for at least 2 hours before adding an algaecide.

What time of day should I shock my pool?

BEST TIME OF DAY TO SHOCK? After you have cleaned the pool of all debris it is best to shock in the evening because the sun’s UV rays will dissolve the chlorine too quickly before it has a chance to attach and oxidize.

How do you tell if there is too much chlorine in a pool?

Dry hair, sensitive skin and irritated eyes are all indicators of an over-chlorinated pool, but there is a less inconvenient and safer way to find out whether your pool has too much chlorine. A DPD testing kit measures free and combined chlorine levels to give a total chlorine count.

Do you run your pump when you shock your pool?

Shocking your pool is a fairly simple process. … Pour the mixture from the bucket into the water around the edges of the pool. Let the pump run for about 6 hours or more and test the water. Don’t use the pool right away – wait for the free chlorine levels to drop to 1 – 3 ppm before it is safe to swim.

Why is my pool still green after I shocked it?

Just to summarize my experience: a bad filter is the most common cause of cloudy pool water. Green pool water is caused by a bad chemical balance, usually something other than just low chlorine.